Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Marguerite

Hey guys! Sorry its taken me so long to post! I was on the Marguerite website last week trying to figure out how I could get to campus (I had to work softball camps) and I found some interesting information about the history of the Marguerite.

The Marguerite has been around since the beginning of the University, and the form of transportation has just changed throughout the times. In the 1880s, Leland Stanford himself ran a horse and buggy service, seating 12 people, from the train station across to El Camino Real. In 1909, the horse and buggy was replaced with electric streetcars. In 1929, the streetcar tracks were removed when El Camino was widened, and a private bus service took over the route. The city of Palo Alto decided to subsidize the bus' cost in 1963, and by 1973 Stanford expanded the services to include free service around campus in addition to the train station and downtown Palo Alto. Also, the Marguerite is named after the horse that pulled the carriage of "Uncle John" Andrews, shuttling people from Palo Alto to Stanford. Apparently, Marguerite was Andrew's favorite horse! :)

I don't know about you guys, but I love the Marguerite, especially since I didn't have a car this past year!

Here's the link to the site I found this information from: http://transportation.stanford.edu/marguerite/AboutMarguerite.shtml

Hope everybody's enjoying summer!
-Erikka

No comments: